Govt Gazette Notification on Wages through Cheque or Online Banking
“Wages only by cheque or by crediting the wages in his bank account”
MINISTRY OF LAW AND JUSTICE
New Delhi, the 16th February, 2017/Magha 27, 1938 (Saka)
The following Act of Parliament received the assent of the President on the 15th February, 2017, and is hereby published for general information:—
THE PAYMENT OF WAGES (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2017
NO. 1 OF 2017
[15th February, 2017]
An Act further to amend the Payment of Wages Act, 1936.
BE it enacted by Parliament in the Sixty-eighth Year of the Republic of India as follows:—
1. (1) This Act may be called the Payment of Wages (Amendment) Act, 2017.
(2) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 28th day of December, 2016.
2. For section 6 of the Payment of Wages Act, 1936, the following section shall be substituted, namely:—
“6. All wages shall be paid in current coin or currency notes or by cheque or by crediting the wages in the bank account of the employee:
Provided that the appropriate Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify the industrial or other establishment, the employer of which shall pay to every person employed in such industrial or other establishment, the wages only by cheque or by crediting the wages in his bank account.”.
3. (1) The Payment of Wages (Amendment) Ordinance, 2016 is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the Payment of Wages Act, 1936, as amended by the said Ordinance, shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of the said Act, as amended by this Act.
DR. G. NARAYANA RAJU,
Secretary to the Govt. of India